Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Heartbeat...or Gas?

Tonight, the hubby and I thought we would try a little experiment with Little Sprout by smashing Michael’s head in to my chub-bump and see if he can hear the heartbeat. The books say that hearing the baby this early is "not common", but that doesn't mean impossible right? So, try #1 was a failure. But I blamed the fact that you actually have to touch the tummy to be able to hear anything. I'm all for caution and not squishing the baby, but please! Try #2.....Michael jumps up and says he thought he heard it. With a joyful turned sour expression on my face I was bummed I couldn't hear it. So, Michael tried again, this time making sure to vocalize what he heard. "Blub-blub, blub-blub, blub-blub" We were so excited. How cute! We didn't know if we were listening to gas or the baby, but it was fun either way.

Shortly after our first interaction with Little Sprout, soon-to-be Auntie Elizabeth called and I told her about our listening experience. She laughed and said "cool, but I don't think so. Are you sure it wasn't your heartbeat?" I just sat there with a deer caught in headlights look and said...."who knows." But of course my brilliant sister told us to use the pulse on my wrist to compare with the sounds we heard to see if they were the same. So, Mike smashed his face into my chub-bump again and then vocalized the pulse from my wrist, then the heartbeat he heard from my tummy. Yay, they were completely different. Baby Sprout had a heartbeat that was incredibly faster than my own. We pulled out a stop watch and figured out the baby was somewhere between 150-160 beats per minute. The plethora of books confirmed this was a normal heartbeat for our little one.

Heartbeat or Gas, it made for an exciting evening for my hubby and I. Still counting down the days until our next appt! This weekend Sprout gets to take its first flight down to CA for our cousin Andrea's wedding. Fun Stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment